Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday Night Moanin'

I've been taking an intentional break from the blogsphere for a few days, but that doesn't mean I've completely ignored what's been going on. Unfortunately for you, I have returned to my PC (although my stinkin' monitor went belly-up this afternoon) and have a number of items to address.

* A long time ago, like when I was a kid, you would sneak a radio into school to listen to a ballgame. Sometimes you would sneak a radio into bed so you could listen to a game past your bedtime. When you became an adult, you might sneak out of work to attend a game. You might even call in sick and go to a game instead. Well, some nice folks from Gambia have taken the concept one giant step forward.

See, they chartered a jet and lied to Peruvian officials about having to make an emergency landing because the plane was low on fuel. Guess what? They had plenty of petrol. However, they wanted to watch their nation compete in FIFA's U-17 soccer tournament in Peru.

Calling in sick to work just doesn't look so bad now, does it?

* Pavel Datsyuk returns. Talk about the long and winding road. How many teams in Russia was Pavel committed to?

* I would like to think the new rules would help a player of Datsyuk's ability more than most. His progress may well determine the Red Wings fate. Of course, getting some good goaltending wouldn't hurt, either.

* Michigan State coach John L. Smith thinks his team planting the MSU flag on Notre Dame's field was just a "kids having fun" sort of thing. John Lansing seems to think the politically correct police are making too big a deal about this matter.

I feel about this the way I feel about endzone celebrations. As long as you are comfortable with whatever counteractions result from your step into sportsmanship's gray area, then do what you will.

Rub your backside on a goal post, but don't start whining if an opponent clocks you. Plant your flag at mid-field this year, but if they do the same in your building next season, or take it a step further, be sure to keep quiet.

* Last Sunday, I was in a store and Christmas Trees were out. I kid you not. Up and decorated in late September.

* Speaking of signs of the holidays, I got my card in the mail to pick-up the JCPenney Christmas catalog last week. When I was given a copy, I had to do a double-take. The thing is slightly larger than a comic book. Okay, they aren't quite that thin, but they pale in comparison to the Christmas catalogs when I was young.

I'm guessing Christmas catalogs are soon to be obsolete. I'm sure internet shopping and the cost of production are making them into dinosaurs.

* Is anyone else as tired of Steve Mariucci's press conferences as I am?

* I cannot see this happening.

* In two games, Kansas City's Derrick Johnson has fifteen solo tackles, two assists, one sack and a forced fumble. Conversely, the Lions' Mike Williams has one catch for a touchdown. It covered three yards.

* Did you hear Brandon Inge on the radio say the Tigers had "no leaders"? Inge went on to blast teammates who put on public displays of "leadership". He basically implied such actions were just for public consumption and meant nothing inside the clubhouse. Sounds like a happy group to me.

* I think it's safe to say that the '05 Tigers stopped caring about a month ago. What I find so darn troubling is that all the things we are hearing and seeing from Comerica Park are the same things we've witnessed in years past.

There almost seems to be a perpetual lack of leadership and respect amongst the players and coaching staff in Detroit. Remember how Juan Gonzalez turned off a number of his teammates with his pouting and requests for special treatment? Sounds like the same thing Pudge Rodriguez is going through right now.

Previous teams in the Old English D turned their backs on Larry Parrish and Luis Pujols. Now, Alan Trammell is getting the same treatment, but from an entirely different cast of characters than those that got Parrish and Pujols canned. Although, I suspect the results will be identical.

It's easy to blame Trammell and Dave Dombrowski for the current problems, but who do we blame when these things appear to have been a problem before either arrived on the scene?

* I can sleep easy now. Oprah's chosen a book for us to read.

* After all the hoopla over the Palace Brawl, what do we get? A bunch of players put on probation. Shocking.

* Does Ms. Burk have nothing else to do? Seems Ms. Burk is all in a furor over the sexual nature of the new NHL campaign. She has seen every single ad for beer and shaving products, hasn't she? Forget that, has she seen the television ads for tires? I can't recall if it's Bridgestone or Firestone, but I do remember getting carded before being able to watch.

That's all for tonight, kids. I've got email to read after several days away from cyberspace. That and I've got to cram for my NHL fantasy league draft. Enjoy the weekend.

No comments: