Monday, September 12, 2005

More Lions

Yesterday's win was just a win. No more. No less. Even if it becomes a turning point, an indicator of future success, a harbinger of things to come, we won't know that for weeks or months. However, based on Lions' history we can only take one thing from the victory-the Lions won the game.

Yes, it was a semi-big game because it was Green Bay, a division rival, the season opener, the home opener and the rest of the division lost. To assume it means more is premature. It may even qualify as laughable if you've followed this franchise for more than a decade. If there is one constant about Lions football it's that they always find a way to bungle things.

Start red-hot? Finish ice cold. Start 0 for September? Finish with a tremendous run at a wild card berth. Win this week, lose the next. The opposition really never matters. The Lions have always found a way to tempt us into belief only to end up in their usual state of mediocrity.

The Bears are next. Regardless of the result, I'll hold true to the same mantra. The win is only a win. Two in a row. Three in a row. Four in a row. Yeah, I'll be getting more excited, but to sound like every football coach at every level in America, they only count for one win each.

It's a sixteen game schedule. The Lions could go 8-0, I would be thrilled, but waiting for the inevitable collapse. Sorry, I've been there. Done that. I'll believe the Lions are a ten win team when they win ten games. I'll believe they are a playoff team when they secure a playoff spot. I'll believe they are Super Bowl contenders when they win a playoff game. (Yeah, it may only take one of those.)

Hey, I'm still watching and still rooting. I can't imagine giving that up. I've just learned to follow the coach-speak. I'm taking them one game at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome article, 100 percent true!