Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Little Weekend Recap

I've got to move on to other things, I need more than two day weekends, but I did want to review some of this weekend's action. To begin with, our beloved Detroit Lions beat Green Bay, 17-3. It was not a game that will ever appear on ESPN Classic, but a win is a win. Hey, the first team offense even scored two touchdowns. How can you not be excited about that?

The Pack looked bad. Real bad. They screwed up a field goal. They turned over the ball. The committed penalties in bunches. Basically, they played like the Lions usually do. If I'm a Green Bay fan, I'm nervous about '05.

As for the penalties, did anyone else noticed how often Packer DBs went to the face of Lions' WRs? It got called a couple of times, but it happened quite a bit more than that. I wonder if that's the tactic teams will employ to slow down the Lions WR corps?

I was very happy to see linebackers making plays this afternoon. I saw Earl Holmes post-game interview on FSN-Detroit. I know he's about fifty years old, but I like Holmes. Just seems like a good guy. He's got a bit of game left, too.

Joey Harrington looked like a decent quarterback today. He did a solid job. Not that Steve Mariucci will acknowledge that. Harrington isn't Canton-bound, but the guy did his job.

The Lions are your division leaders, as Minnesota and Chicago ended up on the losing end as the Packers did today. Another division games awaits as the Lions are off to Chicago for Week Two. I'll just enjoy today's win for another 24 hours before debating the Bears, thank you.

Around the NFL, Pittsburgh looked very good. I know he hasn't won the Super Bowl, but Bill Cowher still has to be one of the top five coaches in the league. If your third team runningback goes off for over 100 yards rushing, it could be the system.

Tampa Bay played a nice road game vs. the Vikes. I never thought Cadillac Williams would be that productive this early.

Miami won?!?!?! San Francisco, too?!?!?!

Over to the college kids. I didn't get to see much of Michigan's loss at the hands of Notre Dame. I was in a restaurant during ND's opening march down the field, though. It was plain ugly if you root for the maize and blue. I didn't see enough to make too many blanket statements, but I do wonder if this is a one or two loss squad or something worse.

If Charlie Weis keeps winning, will he stay at ND or look at the NFL the way Nick Saban did?

Michigan State rolled Hawaii as they should. Nice solid win. Drew Stanton looks like the All-Big Ten first team quarterback right now with Chad Henne's off day vs. the Irish and Drew Tate getting knocked out of Iowa's loss to Iowa State.

I loved the Texas at Ohio State game. I'm not crazy about either program, but I loved the match-up. The first meeting between traditional college football superpowers. Tons of future NFL players on the field. #2 vs. #4 in the land. It had a playoff-type atmosphere. College football is about these type of games.

Yes, Vince Young is your Heisman leader at this second. Of course, Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush did have the week off. A.J. Hawk is your defensive player of year after two weeks.

The Tigers took two of three from Kansas City. Were any of them televised? Neither today's afternoon tilt or Saturday night's affair were. That's nearly as shameful as the Tigers record. I guess it doesn't matter as with pigskins in the air, no one cares.

Oh, by the way, Chris Shelton can still hit.

As for other things no one cares about, Roger Federer won the U.S. Open. He's going to be one of the great tennis players of all-time and no one in the U.S. will notice. I'm as guilty as anyone. I really had planned on watching more of the Open, but it just didn't fit into my schedule very well. Even when it did, I didn't find the match-ups compelling. Maybe it was just me.

The United States won the Solheim Cup. If you have to ask what the Solheim Cup is, you probably don't care. I was happy to see our ladies re-capture the Cup, though. Paula Creamer continues to play the part of phenom.

Dan Wheldon won the IRL race in Chicagoland. Wheldon all but won the season's championship with the victory. It was a pretty close finish with Wheldon holding off Helio Castroneves. Truth be told, I was rooting for Castroneves. Although, I have no problem with Wheldon.

As for my other "football" boys, Everton lost to Portsmouth, 1-0. I'm totally offended. The Toffees do have ten players, including most of their newly acquired transfers, out with injuries. I suspect Everton will continue to have problems until the Holidays. That's just a guess from a newbie soccer guy, though.

Reading tied, 1-1. Reading? What now? Brian's following yet another Euro team? Yes, I am as Bobby Convey, one of my favorite U.S. players, is at Reading now. Convey was their player of the month. You don't care, but this isn't your blog, now is it? Remember a few paragraphs ago, when I pointed out this would be about things you didn't care about. I did warn you.

Until my next post that you don't care about, I bid you a good evening.

2 comments:

Eric PZ said...

Don't for get that Reading also has Marcus Hahnemann in goal. That's two American's starting for them.

Brian said...

That's what I thought, Eric. Even more reason to support Reading.