Sunday, October 17, 2004

Big Ben Believer

I am officially on the Ben Roethlisberger Bandwagon. Watching the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie against Dallas this afternoon, I am convinced. This kid has the potential to be special. His size is the first thing that caught my attention, but what I am most impressed with is Roethlisberger's feel for the game.

Unlike most rookies, forget that, most players, Big Ben seems to have a sense of where his teammates and opponents are at. He doesn't panic. He appears to improvise very well. He can throw on the run. He creates space for himself to throw. He scrambles effectively. It all those little things coaches and scouts blabber on about for days that make Roethlisberger unique for his age.

I now understand why Bill Parcells said the Big Ben is best looking rookie quarterback he has seen play since Dan Marino. Roethlisberger sure looks like the real deal. I, for one, am now a believer.

No comments: