Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Greatest Player In The World

If I asked you who was the best baseball player in the world today, right this second, who would be your answer? If you ask me, and I know you haven't, I would take Carlos Beltran of Houston. He's tearing up the playoffs. He's a five tool player living up to all the expectations. I'm not sure how you could take anyone else.

Yeah, Barry Bonds would get some thought. So, too, would Albert Pujols. Do either play defense or run like Beltran? I don't think so. Scott Rolen, when healthy, can hit and catch with anybody, but he can't run like Beltran. Manny Ramirez and Gary Sheffield can outhit 95% of the game, but neither can run or field with Beltran's ability. Vladimir Guerrero, or maybe Alex Rodriguez, may come the closest, but I still like Beltran over both at this second.

I know he's in a contract year, so maybe he gets an asterisk, but Beltran is playing like the best player on Earth. At least he is right this moment. By next week, I may have a new greatest player in the world.

No comments: