Thursday, October 21, 2004

Sox In Series

I should say something about one of the greatest playoff series ever played. I loved Boston Red Sox victory over the New York Yankees. However, I should put the disclaimer in right now. I am a member of Red Sox Nation. This adopted cousin of the Commonwealth's team joined the legions in 1975. That, friends, is a long time ago. I may relay the details of my entry into The Nation during the World Series, but suffice to say, I am not unbiased. (I guess that makes me equal with 99% of the journalists who claim they are.)

As such, I was happy to see the Sox get the breaks, bounces and calls for a change. I was also happy to see the Sox play some tough minded baseball at times. Especially, late in games. Those late inning miracles are usually the games the Sox lose, Carlton Fisk's shot notwithstanding.

Overall, I don't think you can expect much more tension or drama from a playoff series, or sport in general, than the Red Sox and Yankees provided over the last week. It was great theatre and another boost for the game's image. Obviously, the thing that clinched it for me was the Boston triumph.

Having said that, let me also state that I am not at all satisfied. Not even close. Sure, many in The Nation probably are just as happy to see the Sox make playoff history against the hated New York Yankees as they would be to win the next round. I, however, will not be pacified quite so easily.

The nightmare that is the Red Sox post-season history, post 1918, won't end until they win the World Series. No amount of playoff destruction or general humiliation of King George's pinstripers is going to make up for 1975 or 1986 in my book.

Yeah, dropping the over-confident Yanks in their house, in front of their fans, does balance out some of the Bucky Dent/Aaron Boone crap, but it doesn't give the Sox the most elusive prize. Only a World Championship can dull the pain of four straight World Series losses (1946, 1967, 1975, 1986) each in seven painful games. Only four more wins can help offset the champion-less streak dating back to World War I.

Winning this remarkable series is great. It's sweet revenge. It's also four wins shy of what generations of Red Sox fans have waited for. At least, this year's Sox get a chance to make those dreams come true.

No comments: