Thursday, October 14, 2004

A Great World Series Match-Up

I admit that my Houston versus Boston World Series prediction doesn't look very likely (or smart) right now. However, I would caution everyone that it is still early in both series. I would also like to point out that really almost any combination of the four remaining teams makes for a great World Series.

My Astros vs. Red Sox scenario provides Roger Clemens returning to Fenway Park. It would be a homecoming for ex-Sox farmhand and Astros' legend, Jeff Bagwell. It would provide us with a team that had never even won a playoff series prior to this season and one's whose playoff failings are legendary. Someone would have to succeed. Wouldn't they?

A St. Louis Cardinals vs. Red Sox outcome would be shades of 1946 and 1967. The Cards and Sox met both times for the World Championship. Each series went seven games. The Cards came out with the title on both occasions. It may feature the two best baseball towns in America. What's not to like?

If the Cards face the New York Yankees it would be a 40th anniversary series of their 1964 World Series collision. I may be wrong, but I think the Cardinals have the most World Championships in National League history. We know the Yanks have the most overall. The series would ooze baseball tradition and feature two great lineups.

An Astros vs. Yankees series would have Roger Clemens returning to Yankee Stadium, the place he "retired" from. I'm sure the Yankee faithful would welcome The Rocket back with open arms. It would be a battle of a team with more post-season success ever against one with no post-season success prior to two weeks ago. An underdog scenario if there ever was one.

So, even if I am wrong (yet, again), the World Series should still be great baseball. Besides, I should get some credit for getting the first round of playoffs predicted correctly.

No comments: