Thursday, November 24, 2005

Another Turkey Day Disaster

That was certainly ugly, wasn't it? After the Detroit Lions latest flop, this one on national television in front of a captive, turkey laden audience, does anyone not believe the 2005 season is over? Anybody? Didn't think so.

The final outcome doesn't really matter any more. There is no use in going over individual performances. No point in arguing play calling. Hopes for playoffs are gone. Hopes for Joey Harrington or Jeff Garcia? Adios. The 2005 season is all but finished. They just have to play out the string.

From here on out, the games themselves only matter as they may determine the fate of coach Steve Mariucci and President Matt Millen. If the Lions can maintain today's high quality of play over the remaining five games, I have little doubt that Mariucci will be let go. With only four wins in eleven attempts, I suspect a six win or less campaign might, just might, get Millen tossed out the door, too.

Now, in my more negative moments (like right now), I figure canning either or both of them won't amount to a hill of beans because this franchise is doomed. Unless the Ford family backs into a head coach or general manager that completely reinvents the organization (a la the Steelers and Chuck Noll in the 1970s), which would be the blind squirrel and nut theory in action, this team is going to keep on going at this terribly depressing pace for, well, eternity.

In my more positive spans, I figure that the Fords will have to be the squirrel eventually. The odds demand it. So, perhaps, moving Mooch and Millen elsewhere will expedite the odds of finding that oh-so-elusive nut, I mean coach.

If I was angry, I'd begin my rally to get both men dismissed right here. Frankly, I just don't have the energy. I'm tempted to blame the turkey (Did I mention I was the cook today? It went well, thanks for wondering.), but I know the bird had less to do with it than the years of watching poor, disappointing football.

Instead of dwelling on the huge pile of crap that are the 2005 Lions, I've decided to do what all diehard Lions fans do at this point in the season--look ahead to the draft.

The Lions have four wins, an amount I figured would almost secure them a top ten pick, but alas the race is tight in the Reggie Bush Sweepstakes. The Lions are one of thirteen teams with four wins or less. Forget about cheering on the Lions through the next meaningless five contests, we've got to start rooting for Arizona, St. Louis, Buffalo, Oakland and Cleveland (all with four wins heading into Sunday's games). Getting on the bandwagon for New Orleans, Tennessee, Houston, the New York Jets, Miami and San Francisco wouldn't hurt, either. (I'm not expecting too many in Motown to root for Green Bay, so I left them off the list intentionally.)

Because I am totally nuts, or a Lions fan, which may be the same thing, I've actually done a little draft research. Isn't that what all NFL fans do in November? I viewed these draft overviews with the notion that the Lions will be drafting outside the top ten, but I hold out hope they can live up (down?) to my expectations and get into the top ten or, dare I say, the top five? After the last couple of weeks, do you really think the top five is out of the question? I sure don't.

Sportnutz.com relays this list of the top 32 picks in the 2006 draft. Footballs Future.com offers their mock draft with the Honolulu Blue and Silver picking 13th. James Alder, writing for About.com, provides this very early look at the '06 draft. Mr. Alder has the Lions selecting eighth, which implies to me that he may understand all of the tiebreaking procedures. If he has factored those in, the Lions have a very good chance at a top five pick. (Yes, I know Millen will take another wide receiver, but we are thinking happy thoughts now.)

I haven't decided whom I want the Lions to select yet, but it's time to start looking at who is going to be available. After all, the Lions will be on the clock shortly.

No comments: