Friday, November 18, 2005

Questions To Tigertown

It's Hot Stove League time and that means rumor, speculation and good old fashioned lying are more popular than ever. With the spirit of the season in mind, I've got some questions for the citizens of Tigertown (and elsewhere) to ponder.

1) A.J. Burnett is supposedly getting offered ten million a season by Toronto. Let's assume that's going to be close to the figure it takes to land him. Do you still want the Tigers to pursue him?

2) If the Tigers feel the Burnett price is too steep, which free agent pitcher do you view as Plan B?

3) According to this report by Ken Rosenthal, the Phillies might consider trading Bobby Abreu. Contrary to what Tigers' management would have us believe, I still think the addition of a quality lefthanded hitter is important. It would be difficult to find one better than Abreu.

This is a two part, kids, so pay attention. a) Should the Tigers call Pat Gillick and make a serious run at the Home Run Contest Champ or b) they simply don't have enough to trade to obtain Abreu, so why bother?

4) In the same report, Rosenthal says a number of teams are calling Florida to ask about Juan Pierre. Adding Pierre would allow Curtis Granderson to move to left and provide the Tigers with another lefthanded bat plus a leadoff hitter. Should Dave Dombrowski get in Pierre sweepstakes? If so, who are you willing to part with to get the speedy CF?

5) The oft-injured Nomar Garciaparra is available. He might come at a reasonable price and would probably be willing to play thirdbase. If the Tigers could sign Garciaparra it would allow Brandon Inge to move to the spot I think he's best at: super-utility player. A) Should the Tigers consider the former batting champion? B) If so, how much a year would you fork out to put Nomar in and Olde English D?

Bonus point question: C) For the sabermetrically inclined, is Nomar's production going to be significantly better than Inge's at this point in their respective careers? (Billfer? Lee? Brian? Anybody?)

Five questions this early in the winter is a pretty good beginning. I'm sure we will have more of these discussions as the rumors spread. Feel free to debate these issues and leave your comments. Remember, this exercise is primarily for fun. I do not have any inside information. Don't let me hear one of you call into a radio station saying you "read on the internet that the Tigers are trying to get Juan Pierre".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we sign Nomar after we've only gotten Maggs and Pudge because of similar injury issues, the old English "D" will have to start standing for "disabled list."

Lee Panas said...

If Garciaparra is healthy, I would certainly expect him to hit significantly better than Inge over the next couple of years. I agree with Paul that he's a big risk though.

I believe the Tigers need more offense but all indications seem to be that they don't plan on upgrading offensively. I don't think this adds much to your exercise though!

Brian said...

I realize Garciaparra is a risk. So too are all the free agent arms. The question is at what point is it an acceptable risk?

Is four million a year too much? How about five? Six? How long a deal is too long? Two years? Three?

If you told me, in theory, that for $11 million the Tigers could have Burnett or something like Garciaparra and Byrd, or Farnsworth and Jose Mesa (giving them a set-up guy and a closer), I'd take the plans that give me more options. That's just me, though.

billfer said...

As for Nomar, I'm with Lee that he'd be an upgrade over Inge offensively. However, in terms of total production I think Inge would beat him simply from a playing time standpoint. So Garciaparra has to be a one year contract.

Ian C. said...

1) I don't think the Tigers are in a place where they can invest $10 million per season in one pitcher.

2) Matt Morris would be a fine Plan B choice to me. As would trading for Vasquez, depending on what Arizona wants in return.

3) If the Phillies were willing to take one of Detroit's big contracts (Magglio) in return, I'd make that trade. But surely, the Phillies are looking to cut costs, and I'm not sure I'd give up top prospects for him.

4) Pierre would be a great fit in the Tigers' lineup. I'm not sure what it would take to get him, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a top prospect, a la Verlander or Zumaya. But I'd certainly part with, say, Monroe and/or Infante if that did the trick.

5) No on No-MAH! Sure, his bat's better than Inge's, but as Bill said, Inge gives more to the lineup each day.

It's a moot point now, but if the Tigers were looking to upgrade at 3rd, they should've gotten involved in the Beckett-Lowell sweepstakes.