Monday, November 28, 2005

Euro Footballer Of The Year

Ronaldinho was named Football of the Year. I'm quite confident that 95% of my readership has either never heard of him or couldn't care less. Both are a bit unfortunate. Ronaldinho is, in a single word, dazzling.

When the majority of sports fan in the U.S. think soccer they envision slow, methodical play. I don't deny that can be the case, as it can in any sport, but those who hold that view haven't seen Barcelona's star. I got my first protracted opportunity to watch the Brazilian international just recently and I was completely amazed. He is a blur. His dribbling skills are admired by even this neophyte soccer fan. And, yes, boys and girls, he does score. Quite a bit, in fact. He is clearly the best player I've seen this year. Apparently, the European football media concur.

No comments: