Thursday, November 17, 2005

Channel Surfing

I have a new sports television addiction. It's the Fox Soccer Channel. It has become a daily destination. I often will now turn it on first. Yes, crazy soccer-loving Brian is flipping on the TV and heading straight for FSC before ESPN, Fox or anyplace else.

I have watched just about everything the network has to offer. English Premier League games? Check. French League matches? Check. EPL preview and review shows? Check. Fox Football Friday? Check. MLS playoff match? Of course. How about the U-21 UEFA contest between France and England? Check. (I hate to say it, but I enjoyed that more than the MLS title game.) Sky Sports? Yep. I'm telling you, I'm addicted. It's amazing I'm still typing and not heading for the TV. (I guess blogging is an addiction as well.)

I'm sure part of my infatuation is due, in part, to the fact that FSC is a new kid on the block for me. I had FSC added as part of something called the "Sports Pack" to my cable television upon my return from vacation. FSC is joined by Gol (another soccer network I frequent), three Fox College stations (Atlantic, Midwest and Pacific), NBA TV, The NFL Network and, yes, the Tennis Channel in this package.

Perhaps, my zeal to watch just about anything on FSC will subside once the initial thrill has passed, but for now the network gets a fair amount of my sports viewing time. Certainly, this will come to a crashing end once baseball returns.

During baseball season, I have two primary networks-Fox Sports Detroit (Tigers) and MLB Extra Innings (every other team), which I've subscribed to three of the last four years. Those stations are always first between April 1 and October 1. Even FSC will take a back seat to them.

The rest of my regular television rotation you can probably figure out all on your own--the ESPN family of networks, The Golf Channel, OLN, Speed, Comcast Local, the remaining channels in my shiny new Sports Pack, TNT, TBS, WGN and the traditional networks as they provide coverage of things I am interested in.

Yes, I do watch some other things--BBC America, The Cartoon Network, The History Channel, The Food Network and the cable news stations, although I'm avoiding news in general just to keep myself moderately sane. However, there is only so much time in a day and I have blogging to do, so my television veiwing has been limited. Lucky for you, though, I'm heading back to my tv right now. I wonder what FSC has on?

1 comment:

Ian C. said...

I think this is why I haven't taken the plunge into digital cable or a satellite dish. I'm afraid of what else is out there.

That, and I think I really only watch eight or nine channels, tops.