Friday, November 11, 2005

Figuring Out The NHL Salary Cap

I listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio. Yeah, I'm nuts, but you knew that. Anyway, something that almost never fails to astound even this sports junkie is how many people can spit out data on the NFL salary cap.

A caller will say something like "The Lions are $3 million under the cap right now". It doesn't matter if "right now" is November 11th or April 1, this individual knows what the Lions salary structure is versus the cap this instant. Now, I'll admit he probably doesn't know what's in his checking account, but the caller does appear to have a grasp on the Lions cap number. Conversely, I can't even begin to guess what the cap figure is let alone what the Lions up-to-the-minute salary total is at any point in the year.

This leads me to the new NHL cap. While I'm sure the hockey mavens are probably all over this, I haven't seen or heard too much about the specifics of the deal. So, when James Mirtle offered his two cents in light of a Hockey News feature on the matter, I found it rather interesting. Seems their are some loopholes in the ol' hockey cap. Not all of them are producing smart hockey decisions, either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Should there be a Salary Cap in English Football?
Personally I think there should be! It’s just getting to be stupid money in football at the top of the premiership!
It’s always the same teams at the top proving that football success is based purely on money which ruins the idea of it being a sport! They’ve done it in rugby, basketball, hockey and American football and it makes the sports more competitive and better to watch!
I do a little Spread Betting from time to time and most matches don’t hold much surprise who is going to win, its boring! I want to see a team at the bottom pulling off an amazing season beating last seasons winners in a close fought battle!
Make things fair! It shouldn’t be about money!
Plus!
All there is all that money in the premiership and barely any of it stays in the UK so it’s not even helping the economy!
From my Spread Betting, if I ever win big (which is never, I’m unlucky) it’s still nothing compared to the average premiership players weekly wage!
This Rant was brought to you by Spread Betting Spike.