Saturday, November 05, 2005

Future Tiger List?

Both regular readers here realize that when it comes to sports, I have attention deficit problems. As my blogroll alone would indicate, I watch just about everything. So with so many sports underway, what am I thinking about today? Baseball, of course. Perhaps, the one sport not being played this second.

I've been wondering exactly who is going to be a free agent, basically because I want to know whom Dave Dombrowski might be pondering. As such, I did what any dolt with a PC would do--I went to Google. My search revealed these lists.

The first is a complete rundown of anyone and everyone available. MLB4U.com also provided it's Top 50 Free Agents with a breakdown of potential suitors plus their guess as to where these guys may land. RotoAuthority.com also takes a guess at where it's Top 50 might sign.

As I mentioned in my last post, everyone and their sister knows the Tigers are interested in A.J. Burnett. However, it's also true that everyone and their sister are interested in signing Burnett which I thinks makes the Tigers chances of landing him much smaller. Not impossible, just unlikely. Frankly, I'm not sure that's entirely a bad thing.

I didn't like Carl Pavano last off-season and I feel much the same way about Burnett now. Sure, I'd love to see him in an Olde English D, but with his spotty career, I have trouble with the Tigers offering Burnett a big time deal. He probably has the most potential of any free agent starter, but he just sort of scares me.

Yes, he could be great. He could also be a total disaster. It's not like if he hurts his arm he can still DH. This could be said for any pitcher, but I'd feel better seeing Dombrowski give really big cash to a really big name, then giving Burnett a long term, big money deal. (Example: Roy Oswalt is a free agent. He's a big time pitcher. He wants $18 million per season? Where do the Tigers sign?) Hey, I could be totally wrong and Burnett could power the Detroit boys to the post-season in '06, but his history doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Looking over the lists, a few initial things caught my attention. First, Rafael Furcal is available. Don't go screaming, "We already have a shortstop, Carlos Guillen. He's one of the best in the game. Why bring in Furcal, you moron?". Easy, kids. I thinking bringing in Furcal and moving Guillen makes the Tigers infield better.

I also think Furcal could provide some speed and hit just a bit. I worry about Guillen's knee and think the Tigers would be wise to get another shortstop ready. If Guillen remains injured, I like the idea of Brandon Inge at 3B and Furcal at SS better than I like Inge at third and insert utility player here at short.

Then, I see Brian Giles is also on the open market. Now, I know D.D. claims the Tigers offense is set. Well, they had some bad spells last year and Giles could help. He is not in his prime, but with all the ex-Pirates now running the Tigers clubhouse, I wonder if Giles might get a call from an ex-Pittsburgh contact now in Motown?

If Giles isn't the Tigers leftfielder, how about Jacque Jones?

Matt Morris is projected by MLG4U.com to sign as Jason Johnson's replacement. I'm not sure how much Morris has left, but it's an interesting idea. Again, like everyone else, it depends on how much money these guys sign for. Where to draw the line is what Dombrowski is getting paid for.

There seems to be a ton of free agent closers on the open market. I have to think the Tigers can land a decent one. Jose Mesa might be my guess, again, because of the Pirate connection.

I could be plain crazy, but wouldn't signing Jarrod Washburn and Paul Byrd make the Tigers rotation better and for a more reasonable contract figure than just targeting Burnett? Honestly, I'll take all the arms the Tigers can afford to sign right now.

I did chuckle just a bit when I saw MLB4U.com implied the Tigers were the type of team Jeff Weaver might sign with. Call me crazy, but I don't think Dombrowski is interested in a second go-around with Weaver under any circumstance.

Well, there's little better than wild speculation during the Hot Stove League season. Enjoy the lists and feel free to remind me just how wrong I am.

Oh, and before I go, here is another Tigers blog for you to visit. Head over to Tiger Tales for far better baseball analysis than I can provide.

2 comments:

Lee Panas said...

Nice site Brian. Thanks for the plug. I just linked you too.

Lee

Ian C. said...

Brian, you and I are drinking from the same bowl here. I would much rather see the Tigers take, say, $40 million and spread it around to a couple of players, rather than just sink it into one guy. Unless you have the big boy payrolls, I think that's a proven way to go in pro sports today.

A.J. Burnett, or some combination of Washburn, Millwood, Morris, Byrd, and Weaver? I'll take Option #2, thanks.

I really like your thinking on Furcal, which is someone I hadn't considered before. His speed and defense could really energize a team. And I can't help but think Guillen's knee will eventually put him at 3rd base.

And as a heterosexual man, I have no problem saying that I have always been in love with Jacque Jones's swing, and would love to see him jack balls out of Comerica Park. I think that's a great idea. He solidifies the outfield, a la Reggie Sanders, in a way that Rondell White can't (because of injuries) and gives the Tigers a much-needed left-handed bat.

Can we just install you as GM if Dombrowski somehow goes to Boston?